From Reiki For Dummies by Nina L. Paul / with my comments below.
Reiki isn’t a religion, but it is spiritual. The distinction between spirituality and religion has caused a lot of confusion with regard to Reiki. These concepts are overlapping but separate. Spirituality is the belief in your connection with the divine, no matter whether you call it a higher power, God, spirit, soul, or even the stars. The purpose of spiritual development is to improve this connection and see the divinity within yourself and all around you.
Religion provides guidance on how to develop yourself spiritually. It tells you what the divine looks like and gives you frameworks of texts, places of worship, and guides to support you.
You can be part of a religion and not have a spiritual connection. You can have a spiritual connection and not belong to a religion.
Reiki provides a means for spiritual growth. No matter what your religious background, you’ll find that the principles are relevant and don’t conflict with your religious practice. In fact, Reiki should enhance your personal religious connection. The spiritual aspects of Reiki enable you to do the following:
- Connect to a higher source: You use prayer and meditation to connect to God or the higher power of your own beliefs. Spiritual connection provides the never-ending supply of Reiki energy.
- Channel the higher energy: Reiki healing energy is not from the practitioner but comes through the practitioner from God or another higher power.
- Keep spiritually healthy: Just as you maintain your physical health with nutritious food, fresh air, and exercise, you also need to maintain your spiritual health. Prayer, meditation, quiet times, and spiritual exercise (doing kind acts) can help in this regard. Reiki uses the following spiritual tools: Reiki principles, meditation, and symbols and chanting.
|I would add this:
- A Reiki practitioner is only a channel for Reiki energy. This energy cannot be manipulated.
- The Reiki practitioner got his abilities from an initiation-protocol given by a Reiki Master Teacher.>> attunement of Reiki energy with the subtle energy system of the human body
- Everyone can be a Reiki Master Teacher.
- A Master Teacher is a person that reached the level of Teacher.
- When a person heals, it is only because the person triggered his/her self-healing process, whatever the technique or medication used.
- The Reiki practitioner is only (but important!) a guide for the receiver.
- The Reiki practitioner shall not judge anything or anyone.
- The Reiki practitioner shall stay humble in any circumstances.
- The Reiki practitioner observes and puts his/her hands according to his/her observations.
- The Reiki practitioner does not persuade anyone and keeps his/her beliefs for him/herself.
- The Reiki practitioner sends the person to the doctor or hospital if needed.
- Reiki is a energetical healing technique used more and more in complementary therapy in Europe and the US.
- Reiki energy goes through every material/clothes.
- Reiki is compatible with every therapy.
- The Spiritual aspect of Reiki comes through the 5 Reiki Ideals
- The final goal of Reiki is to become a better person every day.
- Treatments and trainings have a cost like every other service.
REIKI IS NOT
- A magical power or a gift.
- The Reiki practitioner is not allowed to diagnose any illness.
- The Reiki practitioner does not heal anyone and does not pretend it.
- The Reiki practitioner does not promise any healing.
- The Reiki practitioner has no right to give opinion about any illness, medications, diagnosis, therapeutic choice etc
- Reiki does not replace any other medicine or therapy.
- The Reiki practitioner does not replace the doctor.
- During a Reiki session, the Reiki practitioner does not use any drug substance or any kind.
- Reiki Master Degree does not imply a special degree of wisdom, intelligence, spirituality, or any kind of gift.
- Reiki is no dogma.
- There is no obligation of any kind with Reiki.
- There is no reducing freedom practice or teaching.
- Reiki is not a religion.
- There is no central or pyramidal organisation in Reiki.
- There is no guru in Reiki.
- There is no requisite financial participation.
- Reiki is not a sect.